As we all know, #StayHomeMN has been extended to May 4. Magers & Quinn received a classification as an essential business, which means we are able to have some staff in the store fulfilling and shipping web orders. (And there have been a lot of web orders. Thank you!!) However, we’re still mostly communicating with one another from home, so here’s another update on how M&Q booksellers are keeping occupied.
Pro tip: Any books mentioned can be purchased by clicking on the link. You can also look for any of the books in audiobook form via Libro.fm, or in e-book format at My Must Reads. By signing up for an account linked to Magers & Quinn Booksellers, you can add e-books and audiobooks to your library and still support your indie store!
From Mary W:
- What I’m reading: Everything Is Horrible and Wonderful: A Tragicomic Memoir of Genius, Heroin, Love, and Loss by Stephanie Wittels-Wachs, the very funny and wise sister of comedy genius Harris Wittels (Parks and Rec), who tragically overdosed in 2015.
- What I’m watching (tv or movies, etc): The Americans (on Amazon, sorry.) – it’s about deep cover Russian spies during the Cold War, so, relevant, plus it’s set in the 80’s so lots of choice wigs and costumes. Also, quarantine dance videos on Insta, esp. Megan Thee Stallion and Harper Watters.
- What I’m listening to: ok, nerd alert: Tolkien Ensemble, a Danish classical group that set all the songs from Lord of the Rings to music (i love it a lot)
- What I’m doing: cooking, cleaning, taking walks…also hanging out at home with our maintenance guy, bc a bunch of stuff in our apartment decided to break during all this. Fun times!
- What I’m reading: A Concise History of the Russian Revolution, by Richard Pipes
- What I’m watching (tv or movies, etc): The West Wing
- What I’m listening to: Democracy Now!
- What I’m reading: Cookbooks! More eating at home means more opportunities to try new recipes!
- What I’m watching (tv or movies, etc): nothing, so far…..usually more of a social occasion for me, so…………..
- What I’m listening to: political podcasts, crafting podcasts, The Regrets by Amy Bonnafons
- What I’m doing: Cooking/baking, building puzzles, working crossword puzzles, hiking, yard work, fires in the backyard on nice evenings
From Beth V:
- What I’m reading: When All Is Said by Anne Griffin, Bella Tuscany by Frances Mayes, Consolations by David Whyte
- What I’m watching: Ozark, Parasite, No Reservations
- What I’m listening to: Terrible, Thanks for asking, Modern Love (podcasts)
- What I’m doing: Walks, puzzles, baking, missing M&Q