For the next 12 days, we’ll be collecting books, toys, clothing, and more from every corner of the store to highlight a dozen gift ideas. From hefty coffee table books to tiny stocking stuffers, we have ideas for every reader’s (and gifter’s) interest, budget, and style. Stay tuned to the blog and our social media for each day’s update. Happy giving!
Sometimes, bigger really is better: big gestures, big gifts, big books. ‘Tis the season to give gifts in a big way, so here’s a selection of beautiful coffee table size books. From art to nature, history to travel, there’s a BIG book worthy of anyone’s coffee table, from your arty best friend to your Minnesota-obsessed mom to your green thumb grandpa.
Pictured (L-R, then top of stack to bottom):
- Pomologia – A wonderful illustrated book of ancient botany, focused on description and classification of apples and pears, written by one of the most famous scientist of 18th century.
- A History of Pictures – Hockney explores the roots of visual expression and technique through hundreds of images—from cave paintings to frames from movies. A joyful celebration of one of humanity’s oldest impulses.
- Jimmy Nelson: Homage to Humanity – Photographer Jimmy Nelson traveled the world with his camera, visiting some of its most remote and ancient cultures. The resulting collection is absolutely stunning.
- North Shore – Compelling and accessible, this substantial book provides readers with a science-based knowledge of the Minnesota North Shore watershed along with beautiful photography and historic background.
- The Holy Trail: 12 Legendary Trails You Should Run – From Norway to South Africa, Hong Kong to Colorado, and Switzerland to Columbia, here are some of the world’s most challenging and beautiful running trails and races.
- China: Fifty Years Inside the People’s Republic – Prepared to accompany an exhibition at the Asia Society in New York City in 1999, this presentation of photographs incorporates work from eminent photographers and is complemented by an essay by Rae Yang.
- Black: A Celebration of a Culture – Images from the birth of photography to the birth of hip-hop depict the history and evolution of Black culture in America, celebrating the worlds of family, worship, music, fashion, and sports.
- New Treehouses of the World – World-renowned treehouse designer and builder Pete Nelson takes readers on an exciting, international tour of more than 35 new treehouses that reveal how treehouses are designed, constructed, and appreciated in a wide array of cultures and settings.
- Remarkable Books – A beautifully illustrated guide to more than 75 of the world’s most celebrated, rare, and seminal books and handwritten manuscripts ever produced, with discussions of their purpose, features, and creators.
- Terry O’Neill’s Rock ‘N’ Roll Album – Terry O’Neill photographed the giants of the music world – both on and off stage. For more than fifty years he captured those on the front line of fame in public and in private, and this colletion of his iconic images is perfect for fans of music and photography.
- Chiparus: Master of Art Deco – This book dwells on the sources and inspiration of the Art Deco movement, with particular emphasis on sculptures created by Demétre Chiparus. Great for followers of design, art, and decorative arts history.
- Shells: Treasures of the Sea – A beautiful collection of for sealife enthusiasts, shell collectors, and more! Shells: Treasures of the Sea features approximately 300 color photographs of shells from all over the globe in all of their striking diversity.