Aspiring writers, take note. The deadline for submissions, both for What Light poetry contest and for the miniStories flash fiction competition is coming up in just one week–May 16. This is a great opportunity to get your work in front of some very important judges, including poet Todd Boss (author of Yellowrocket), Chris Fischbach (Associate Publisher, Coffee House Press), Daniel Handler (who penned the Lemony Snicket series), Kevin Larimer (editor of Poets & Writers), Heather McElhatton
(author of Pretty Little Mistakes and Jennifer Johnson is Sick of Being Single).
Here are the details:
- The deadline for submissions is midnight, May 16
- There’s no entry fee
- Any Minnesota resident may enter work to either or both contests
- The grand prize-winning poet and fiction writer will each receive $500 and a commission for a second piece
- 20 finalists in each competition, 40 in all, will have their work published on mnartists.org throughout the year
- Adjudication of all submissions is handled anonymously, and is based solely on the work entered, which may be in any genre or poetic style
The full call for writers, with length requirements and additional details for those interested in submitting work, is available here.